Wu Xun Memorial Hall
Brief Introduction to Wu Xun
Wu Xun (1838 – 1896) was a poor farmer from Wuzhuang Village, Liulin Town. Born into destitution, he suffered constant bullying because he was illiterate. Therefore, he made up his mind never to marry, have children or build a family fortune, devoting his whole life to establishing free schools for poor children.
Starting at the age of twenty, he took odd jobs, collected scraps and begged along streets while singing ballads as he walked. After thirty years of extraordinary hardships, he bought more than 200 mu of land and saved over 2,000 strings of cash. He built his first free school, the Chongxian Free School, in Liulin Town.
His extraordinary deeds caused a stir across the whole nation. The legendary beggar who ran schools became famous throughout the country. The Qing imperial court commended him and ordered the National History Academy to compile a biography for him. Even after achieving such fame, Wu Xun stuck to his original aspiration. He continued begging to fund education and founded two more free schools in Yang'erzhuang of Guantao County and Cheshi Lane of Linqing during his lifetime.
The spirit of Wu Xun exerted a profound influence on later generations. Numerous people followed his example, and celebrities from all walks of life wrote inscriptions in praise of him. Wu Xun has always been remembered as a righteous man by the public.
Wu Xun’s Mausoleum
After Wu Xun passed away at the free school in Yushi Lane, Linqing, he was buried in a simple wooden coffin east of the Chongxian Free School in accordance with his will.
In 1937, He Siyuan, then Director of the Shandong Provincial Department of Education, organized the reconstruction of the tomb with concrete. It was renovated again in 1989 into its present form.
The tomb stands 2 metres high with a perimeter of 10 metres. In front of it stands a stone stele inscribed with "Tomb of Mr. Wu Xun", written by Xu Yunbei.
Wu Xun Ancestral Shrine
The shrine was first built in 1903 with only three rooms. It was rebuilt to its current scale under the supervision of He Siyuan in 1937 and renovated once more in 1989.
It is a brick-and-wood structure with a hip-and-gable roof, consisting of five front bays and three depth bays, featuring elegant upturned eaves and a solemn atmosphere.
The courtyard is shaded by dense pine and cypress trees. Willows grow outside the walls, and a clear brook known as the Wu River winds around the compound. The whole scenic environment is fresh and pleasant.
One-Hundred-Metre Stone Tablet Corridor
Constructed in 1995, the corridor stretches 140 metres with 26 stone tablets erected on both sides. The tablets bear inscriptions dedicated to Wu Xun by modern celebrities including Feng Yuxiang and Guo Moruo, as well as inscriptions from prestigious universities such as Beijing Normal University and East China Normal University.
The corridor begins at the memorial archway of the shrine gate and ends at the platform in front of the main hall. All the steles are surrounded by wintergreen shrubs and green cypresses, forming a spectacular view.
Visitors can not only cherish the noble integrity of the righteous Wu Xun, but also appreciate calligraphy works of diverse styles.
Twin Pavilions and Terraces
Walking along the stone tablet corridor, you will see a terrace and a pavilion towering high on the left and right, known as the Twin Scenes.
Singing Terrace (Yingming Terrace)
Located to the west of the corridor, this plum-blossom-shaped terrace is built of bluestone and stands 18.38 metres tall.
The name "Yingming Terrace" was inscribed by the renowned sociologist Fei Xiaotong, quoted from The Book of Songs, Minor Odes: Woodcutting:
"O the birds sing loud, seeking their kindred’s sound."
It symbolizes the call to carry forward Wu Xun’s spirit and gather like-minded people from all sectors of society.
The terrace was built in memory of outstanding figures who made remarkable contributions to promoting Wu Xun’s spirit, including Tao Xingzhi, Feng Yuxiang, He Siyuan, Guo Moruo, Sun Zhijun, Li Shizhao, Sun Yu and Zhao Dan.
Among them, Sun Zhijun and Li Shizhao were authors of Illustrated Biography of Wu Xun; Sun Yu wrote the screenplay for the film The Story of Wu Xun; Zhao Dan was the famous actor who played Wu Xun in this movie.
Soul of Wu Xun Pavilion
This pavilion lies to the east of the corridor and was funded by Hong Kong philanthropist Wang Haiting in 1995.
An octagonal stone tablet stands inside, engraved with Wu Xun’s original aspiration of running free schools and the Ballad of Wu Xun Founding Schools, handwritten by Ren Jiyu, former Director of the National Library of China.
The base of the tablet is carved into a lotus flower, symbolizing Wu Xun’s pure moral character of remaining unsullied even amid harsh hardships.
The horizontal plaque "Soul of Wu Xun" was written by the distinguished master scholar Ji Xianlin.
Former Residence of Wu Xun
It is situated in Wuzhuang Village, 2.5 kilometres west of Liulin Town. A stele inscribed with "Former Residence of Mr. Wu Xun" was written by Wu Zuoren.
This was Wu Xun’s ancestral home, now inhabited and maintained by descendants of Wu Qian, Wu Xun’s eldest brother.
|