This spot was originally a river ferry. A simple wooden bridge was erected here in the Song Dynasty, which was rebuilt into a stone arch bridge in the 15th year of the Qianlong reign of the Qing Dynasty (1750).
The horizontal stone plaques inscribed with the three Chinese characters "Henggang Bridge" above the two gateways of the pavilion were written by Tao Sikan, a local calligrapher, during renovation in the 16th year of the Guangxu reign (1890).
The bridge has recently been restored strictly in its original ancient style.